THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Sunday, January 25, 2015

January 16

Today I will only post the quote, for I am falling rather behind and this is still in the same vein as the last two days.
Time is always ripe for reunion. Divisions between Christians are a sin and a scandal, and Christians ought at all times to be making contributions towards re-union, if it is only by their prayers. I am only a layman and a recent Christian, and I do not know much about these things, but in all the things which I have written and thought I have always stuck to traditional dogmatic positions. The result is that letters of agreement reach me from what are ordinarily regarded as the most different kinds of Christians; for instance, I get letters from Jesuits, monks, nuns, and also from Quakers and Welsh Dissenters, and so on. So it seems to me that the 'extremist' elements in every church are nearest one another and the liberal and 'broad-minded' people in each Body could never be united at all. The world of 'broad-mindedness' and watered-down 'religion' is a world where a small number of people (all the same type) say totally different things and change their minds every few minutes. We shall never get reunion from them.
C.S. Lewis
-The Business of Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment