THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, October 31, 2009

I am mentally ill

“To be driven by irrational passions is to be mentally sick.”

I must clarify that the term irrational here, according to the author, is referring to anything which is contrary to human nature, human nature being the natural processes of living life as a human, NATURAL being the key word. (wow that sentence was a duzy)

I LOVE sugar. I want sugar all of the time. Sugar makes me happy. (sad but true) Here’s the thing though, constant consumption and using sugar to implement joy is a reflection of mental illness because a lot of sugar isn’t healthy and joy should NEVER come from a substance. This drive, or irrational passion in my life is a form of mental illness because my mind believes that my body needs sugar but naturally it does not need excess amounts of sugar (all of the time). This is one, and only one example of a mental illness I have.

So why does my mind feel that my body needs excess amounts of sugar? It has become a chemical imbalance in my body due to constant consumption of the heavenly substance, and that isn’t a mental illness (but actually a physical one), however I didn’t start out with a chemical imbalance.

Christmas candy. Just desserts. Warm sugary beverages on cold cold days. Sugary social engagements...

I’ve been raised from childhood with a concept of sugar being a thing that brings joy and causes delight. It’s the marketing of it, the connections that were made in my brain at a very young age between sugar and joy are due to a society that uses sugar to pacify. I think it’s the first pyshc drug we use, way before all those expensive ones enter the picture. So now I am an educated adult with a very realistic concept of sugar as something to be enjoyed sparingly, something that causes cavities, obesity, diabetes, addiction, and various other negative affects on the body when abused. BUT mentally, even unconsciously, I feel that I need sugar (a lot of it all the time). My body tells me it’s something I must have NOW. I try and combat this with the knowledge that I have, BUT my body because of those awesome connections that were made in my brain as a child between sugar and joy, fully believes the opposite of what knowledge is telling me. This is mental illness.

“To be driven by irrational passions is to be mentally sick.”

No comments:

Post a Comment