THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, October 24, 2009

James Joyce's "Dubliners"

I love all things Irish and in reading many historical type books about Ireland I’ve heard mention of the great James Joyce many times. (Retraction: I’m not into booze) It took me quite a long time to read this little book by James Joyce (I’ve been so overwhelmed by life lately) but I really enjoyed it. The first two narratives that I read took me for a surprise because they just ended. There was no resolution, and I didn’t see a point to what I’d just read. I was just left there, having consumed a bit of story and then, it stopped. I was prepared for the abrupt absolution while reading the third story, so it didn’t hit me quite as forcefully. During the fourth I decided to figure out the point to these short little, seemingly pointless, writings. Upon reading the entire collection “Dubliners,” I personally didn’t see a message or an overall purpose to the writings. I will declare ignorance and admit naivety. There probably is a message. I probably missed it. The thing I liked about the book though was that the stories were written so well. I liked that I was reading not for a story with a grand revelation intertwined but merely for the writing. The beautiful way the story teller told his tale. The minute detail he managed to pen on paper. I loved the way he described each character and detailed how each interacted. I read the entire book just for the writing not for a message and I loved it.

I believe the Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens to be my favorite novel. I’ve never been able to describe why and I’ve never found a point to the story. Many other great novels have changed my perspective on life and living and have had wonderfully interesting stories but for some reason I always come back to the Pickwick Papers with a greater love than what I have for any of the others. Dubliners seemed much the same to me. I enjoyed the descriptions, the detail, the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment