THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Faith, Day 5

(Sorry, this is an extremely long quote)
Faith in the having mode, is the possession of an answer for which one has no rational proof. It consists of formulations created by others, which one accepts because one submits to those others- usually a bureaucracy. It is the entry ticket to join a large group of people. It relieves one of the hard task of thinking for oneself and making decisions. Faith, in the having mode is a crutch for those who want to be certain, those who want an answer to life without daring to search for it themselves. [In the being mode my faith] is certainty of a truth that cannot be proven by rationally compelling evidence, yet truth I am certain of because of my experiential, subjective evidence.
-Erich Fromm

I am in the process of reading a book about faith (Rarely ever do I read Christian material; I tend to be too judgmental. I pick apart everything the author says and then I get frustrated with myself). The book was a gift. I felt sort of felt obligated to read it. But I will whole heartedly admit that I’ve always struggled with faith in certain areas. Having absolute assurance in the actualization of a thing you’re hoping for… man that’s a tough one. I mean what if God isn’t on your side? That’s pretty much where I’ve been for the past several years. Realizing His immensity and knowing that, scripturally, His ways aren’t my ways and His plans aren’t my plans, I’m never really sure how to have absolute assurance for anything. What a concept.

God is the King of Kings. I am a servant, or desire to be the servant of the King (this entire blog is going to sound CRAZY to anyone who doesn’t understand relationship with God, sorry). As a servant I find if very difficult to stand before my King and make requests. However I just found out that I’ve been missing something huge. I’ve never had a problem relating to Jesus as a friend. He is the best friend anyone can ever have. This I know. However, God, as a Father, MY FATHER… well I have to admit, that, I’ve been missing. I know God is Father God. In my head it makes sense. I call Him that. Well, I think I may have just stepped before God for the first time ever as my Father. Wow!

Doesn’t it make sense that a dad who desires the absolute best for his children, to go beyond that even, a dad who supports his children in making their own decisions, even though he desires the very best for them, is going to pretty much listen and most often help them out when they ask something of him? That makes sense right? According to the Bible, that’s the kind of dad God is. I think this is the key to the faith I’ve been missing.

When I step before my King, as a servant, making a request, I pretty much just hope that He’ll listen. There’s no faith there. I don’t believe He’s going to do anything beyond hear me and then He gets to decide. This is what I’ve always done. When I step before my Heavenly Father, as a daughter, making a request, I know that He loves me and supports my decisions. Then faith steps in. I believe He is going to move according to my hearts desire. (the key really is submitting your heart to Him so that the desire He is granting is also His perfect plan for you (remember He said that He has given us the choice to decide between blessing and cursing, life and death, but that He desires we choose life)) My mind is blown away by this; talk about change, freedom, and life.

Those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You LORD have not forsaken those who seek You. Ps. 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment