THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, December 28, 2009

Taking a Look at Poverty, Day 2

Consuming has ambiguous qualities: It relieves anxiety, because what one has cannot be taken away; but it also requires one to consume even more, because previous consumption soon loses its satisfactory character. The attitude inherent in consumerism is that of swallowing the whole world. Erich Fromm
I believe in The Christian God and in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I also believe that the Bible is the written word of God himself. These firm beliefs of mine definitely classify me as Christian. I also believe that followers of Christ (if not mankind in general) have a responsibility to Love everyone even people we’ll never in our lifetimes meet or see. Love however is an act of selflessness, giving the absolute best of what the human soul has to offer to the recipient. I imagine that if everyone operated out of love then wouldn't everyone continually be blessed? There would be no need because everyone would be meeting the needs of everyone else, ideally.

This grand country I reside in makes claims to being a Christian country (this offends many of its residents but none the less this is the case). I feel that it takes only a brief glance into our society to refute this claim. This is a country of luxury. But luxury is a lie that grows only at the expense of life. As long as we never see the destruction masked by its false beauty and our own selfish ignorance we shall continue to eat at its table and crave its delicacies. And while the grand American dream is to live each day more luxuriously than the last, we don’t find gratification in our consumption but rather crave more and forget the past moments of delight. Is there a finish line to the rat race? Is there really a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? I don’t know if luxury and love can coexist.

What I’ve begun to open my eyes to as of late is that with every THING I consume, purchase, procure, there was life exerted at the beginning end of that THING. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, the life poured into my THING of fleeting momentary pleasure is a life comprised of suffering, need, destitution, and pain. I believe that my consumption of the THING is consumption of that life. The Bible says numerous times in numerous ways not only that we should love, but that we shouldn’t rob the poor. I think our penny pinching and overall greediness our radical egotism and hedonism (this is just the American way) is robbing the poor blind. What disturbs me the most when looking at this dirty picture is that most Christians don’t see it that way. I however cannot figure any other way of looking at it and as freakish as this viewpoint makes me I don’t want to steal from the poor any longer.

I desire to change. I need to change and at the same time I don't want to get wrapped up in my own sort of law and forget grace. I don't want to be this facist person declaring my truth to the world and trying to make them all believe it but I need to be me. I certianly do not wish to pass judgement on ANYONE for the way in which they choose to live their lives but I want to live mine the way I believe is right. I have this continual inward battle between existing in the society I belong to and walking down the path I see as true.

It amazes me how much more beautiful and also how horrendously ugly this world looks when your eyes begin to open.

Whoever shuts his ears to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be heard. Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty. Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. Blessed is he who considers the poor; The LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
(Prov. 21:13, 22:16, 14:31 and Ps. 41:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment