THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Filthiest Gift I’ve ever been Given, Day 154

We saved the bulk of our donations all week so that on Thursday we could bring them to pacaxiqu, the hardest hit area around Chichi. We drove higher into the mountains than I’ve ever gone. I felt as if we were on the top of the world looking out over the mountains, over Guatemala. I could see forever. I could probably have seen my house if I’d eaten more carrots prior to the visit (and if the world was flat). The view was mesmerizing.

On top of the world at pacaxiqu we gave clothes, shoes, toys, toothbrushes, and candy to all the families who had recently lost everything. A lot of people showed up for our give away. They were very appreciative and happy. I made friends with a little boy who received a new superman shirt and tennis shoes that lit up. Together we chased around an orange bouncy ball for a long time.

Once we were ready to leave Ron informed us that the people had a gift for us. We were led to a church building where chairs had been set out for each of us. We all took a seat and then were served a large piece of cake with soda. The cake was delicious. There were several different flavors of pop that were brought around for us to choose. I chose a Pepsi. As we each grabbed a hold of our beverages there was a universal look of fear in our eyes. Everyone hesitated for a few minutes before they took a drink.

In Guatemala the people collect empty bottles, refill them (I think out of fountain machines) and resell them. The bottles are found lying on the side of the road, in trash piles, wherever, and they are not sanitized before being reused. We’ve been strongly cautioned against drinking anything in glass bottles for this very reason.

We couldn’t do the safe thing and refuse to drink the sodas. The fact that the people had gotten them specifically for us was a tremendously incredible gesture. Those people had little money, many of them had recently lost EVERYTHING in the tropical storm and yet they had bought cake and pop to thank us for bringing them donations. We could not decline.

Just before gulping down my Pepsi I thanked God for the awesome blessing it was and asked Him to protect me against anything harmful. I then lifted the VERY worn glass towards my lips, taking note of a scraped up ring around the logo that had been worn right off and I noticed a good amount of brown build up, just under the mouth of the bottle. I cringed a tiny bit and then I enjoyed my Pepsi with the most delicious of cakes.

On the way back to town the truck got stuck in a mud slide. I got mud in my eye and all over me. It was quite the adventure on top of the world but I wouldn’t change a thing.


1 comment:

  1. Love your description! My Pepsi bottle looked the same, and I stealthily put some hand sanitizer on my hands, then wiped the lid of my bottle! I was so blessed by this gift, though :)

    ReplyDelete