THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How many times can I say simplistic in 3 paragraphs, Day 142

Simplistic is anything but simple.


Since reading “Affluenza” and then attempting to read ” Walden” I’ve had this inward passion to live a simplistic lifestyle. Then I went to Guatemala and witnessed firsthand what that really looks like. The poverty there is sad and uncalled for but the simplicity of the people’s daily routines is awesome. Then I read "To have or to be?" I'm sold.

I guess the term simplistic is referring to the lack of necessities, the lack of things one needs to operate, because it isn't refering to how life becomes once you've chosen the path. A simplistic lifestyle is difficult. Growing your own food instead of going to the grocery store isn’t a simple task. Executing mundane chores like cooking, washing clothes, traveling, or doing yard work (I imagine you get the drift) without modern equipment is not easy. Simple is the last word I’d use for the aforementioned.

However, living simplistically brings one back to nature. It causes you to use your own facilities; your hands, your back, your legs, your mind, and muscles you didn’t realize you had. People who’ve chosen to live a simplistic life have chosen to view the world they live in; they’ve chosen to LIVE; they’ve chosen to FEEL. It’s not easy but the reward you receive from letting go of all the stuff that executes life for you is life.

"So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matt 6:28,31,34

1 comment:

  1. Have you read A Framework for Understand Poverty by Ruby Payne?
    It is a really good book and easy to quick read in a day. I bet you would see a lot of things in Guatemala that are explained in the book. It was a nice for me to understand where a lot of my students are coming from.

    ReplyDelete