THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Thursday, June 3, 2010

What does your “I love you” say? Day 143

Does your “I love you” say:
You make me so happy.
You bring me such joy.
You cause the sun to shine upon me.
I hear music when I’m with you.
You make me feel safe, secure, comfortable, and care free.

Does your “I love you” announce:
There’s nothing I’d rather do than make you happy.
There’s nothing more important to me than you.
Life is perfect when I know you’re ok.
I desire to sing for you.
I want to take care of you.

I think “I love you” should speak all of the above and so much more but I know that a large majority of the time the phrase seems to hang out in the first category. We tend to "love" when it makes us feel good. I don’t believe love should be centered around what someone can do for you. If you’re loving someone because they make you feel good then it sounds like they’re loving you but are you really loving them?

I say I love you a lot to Jesse but every time I do something annoying, something that I know bothers him or upsets him I’m neglecting my I love yous. I’m human, not perfect… I realize this. What I’m saying is I need to listen to what I’m saying. I need to think about it. I need to make sure I’m including all of the above and so much more in every single “I love you.” It’s not just a phrase. It’s not just a relationship one has. It’s a way of life, a heart condition, and a choice.

Te amo!

Love is not rude, it is not self‑seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
1 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment