THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Friday, April 2, 2010

At any rate you will have been cheerful, Day 88

While there is a chance of the world getting through its troubles, I hold that a reasonable man has to behave as though we were sure of it. If at the end your cheerfulness is not justified, at any rate you will have been cheerful.
-H.G. Wells

I’ve been listening to myself complain a lot lately. I’ve been trying to focus on not grumbling but I just keep hearing myself do it. There is a lot, way too many things wrong with the world and with mankind. If one were to sit and look at all of the issues at present, well I imagine one would lose all hope and there is very little possibility of remedying even half of what we’ve ruined. I read this quote today. At first I wondered what good it would do, acting delusional, behaving as though we were sure to get through the troubles. But the second half of it is so poetic… “at any rate you will have been cheerful.”

He’s right you know. I’ve been focusing a lot on faith lately. The past few days I’ve been repeating to myself over and over again, “faith is KNOWING!” If you see an injustice, a wrong, a problem, and you take a step to remedy that situation then whether or not the problem has been solved may not entirely be the necessary focus. Maybe we need rather focus on the fact that we’re doing something to solve it. Maybe we should focus on the positive aspect of the issue. Maybe we should behave as though we are taking responsibility and resolving the issue. Faith is knowing. Maybe we just need to have faith. Maybe we just need to know that it is going to be ok and then be cheerful for that.

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.
Hebrews 11:1 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment