THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Friday, April 9, 2010

Do I have to? Day 95

Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.
-Lin Yutang (I don’t know who this is but I like the quote a lot)

I woke up this morning with a serious case of the “do I have tos.” I lay in bed for almost an hour fretting about all of the “have tos” awaiting me today. Shortly after I finally dragged myself from the warmth, comfort, and security of my bed I decided to declare today a “have to free day”. I quickly made myself one of the best breakfasts ever: A big panqueque with fresh strawberries topped with unsweetened applesauce and one pack of splenda. It was a masterpiece. I decided that I didn’t “have to” go to work but that I did want to make money. So inevitably I wanted to go to work. Seeing how I lazied around in bed for an hour too long there wasn’t any time for me to even think about avoiding the regular morning have tos. I stepped outside to see a little white cap of snow on my mailbox and a magnificent sky above me. The sun was just about to peek over the horizon; the sky was my absolute favorite blue; big fluffy dark bluish grey clouds were positioned throughout the fabulous blue overhead and a slim sliver of the brilliant glowing moon was hanging within the middle of it all. My “have to free day” was turning out great.

While I drove to work I went back over the list of stuff needing to be accomplished, the list that had kept me lying around in bed for an hour earlier. As I re-evaluated each task I came to an extremely interesting realization. Every item on my list, after releasing it and telling myself that “today I do not have to do anything” became something I wanted to do. Just like how I’d decided I actually wanted to go to work, I also wanted to fold the laundry, I wanted to go jogging, I wanted to… well it’s a long list.

The day started with dread. It is ending with quite exactly the opposite. And as I’m certain I will not accomplish everything “I want to do” it’s ok because I do not have to do anything!

I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope.
Ps. 16:8-9

42. Agradecido – thankful
43. Rinoceronte – Rhinoceros

No comments:

Post a Comment