THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Sunday, April 11, 2010

All of the little things, Day 96

Optimist: Day dreamer more elegantly spelled.
-Mark Twain

I tried to take note of everything that brought me joy today.

My first big accomplishment was jogging almost 2 miles bright and early this morning. It was challenging but I just kept pushing myself. For the last three blocks I struggled profusely at making it to my goal. I am very good at ALMOST accomplishing everything I set out to do. For those last few blocks I just kept pushing and pushing. I tried to distract myself by looking towards the sunrise. It was so beautiful. I just kept jogging and looking at the sky, jogging and looking at the sky. I jogged my entire route without walking once. I cannot truly express the sheer joy and satisfaction I felt and now have from accomplishing something so difficult yet so rewarding.

After my jog I went to the library. I am so mesmerized by libraries, enormous storehouses of books that anyone and everyone can take home anytime they like. Whoever devised the idea of the public library is a hero in my book. My library outing was a very joyful moment of today.

As I drove home I noticed a bird standing next to a puddle. The water was flat like glass and the bird’s reflection was a perfect replica of the original. I love reflections in water. The bird just stood alongside his perfectly picturesque sized puddle with the brilliant reflection stemming out from his feet as if he was posing for a portrait or a painting. I found joy in that.

I listened to music as I made my delicious breakfast. I often neglect music. I think I’m overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of my collection and I cannot ever think of the perfect album or artist to coincide with the moment I’m in and so I simply continue to exist in silence. However those moments when I resist the impending imperfection and just push play are almost always exquisite. Today owned one such moment. “My Island” by Starflyer 59 never gets old and always adds joy to the moment.

After I’d set out to do all that my morning called for (with the exception of my ab work out) I decided to complete things with my ab workout. I hate, despise, detest, and never look forward to this “have to.” As I sat between sets my little Bozz gently pushed his head under my arm and looked up at me with those sweet loving eyes of his. He snuggled me and gave me a little Bozzy kiss. Which is generally rare compared to our little Maggie Honey who deals out kisses as if it were her mission in life. He then walked away and Maggie took her turn. They’re loving little dogs but the affection was very much out of the blue and perfectly timed.

Lastly, and it’s a shame that my day ends at 3:00PM I was overwhelmed with joy at seeing my family today and specifically my nieces and nephew. I love that despite how tiny they all are they each have such unique and specific personalities. Little Siaara is so outgoing and friendly. She is determined about what she wants out of life. She doesn’t care who knows it or who she has to go around to meet her ends. She’s a strong passionate child and the joy in that little smile of hers while she’s experiencing just what she was reaching for is priceless. Annabelle is exceptionally creative and thoughtful. When you look into those little eyes you can see the wheels turning behind them. She evaluates and examines every situation to determine her precise move. At just three years old the little artist knows exactly how everything in her world should be and she’s put a considerable amount of effort into determining what is perfection. Asher like Ariel has the most gentle spirit. I think he looks at life through rose colored glasses and sees all cups half full (unless his big sister convinces his otherwise). He enjoys things no matter how they are and he appears content to just be. Ariel has a smile that could melt ice. The tiny little thing beams with joy and comfort. If one could speculate they’d most likely say she’s going to solve a lot of conflict, she’ll be a friendship restorer who brings people together, the ray of light in a room, the one who always makes things better. Just having the privilege to witness these little lives in bloom is a blessing of pure joy to me.

Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.
1 Tim 6:17

1 comment: