THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, May 3, 2010

Accomplishment, Day 115

There is SOOO much satisfaction in accomplishment. I feel so good once I've tackled a task. Once something has been resolved, taken care of and attended to the air is sweeter and I've more energy then when I started.

Here's what I'm wondering: is this compelling feeling to always be going, doing, working, moving, completing, fnishing, the list goes one; is this a feeling steming from our human nature, from our core, from our survival instinct? From the begginning of time people have had to constantly at all costs keep completing tasks necessary for survival practically every minute of every day. All over the world even now people are faced with this reality. Yet here we are, most likely you who obviously have internet access inorder to be reading this and me; we are in this unatural time in history when man no longer has to struggle to survive; we no longer have to strive and toil ceaslessly inorder to keep on living. But does my mind for some reason still believe that I should be living as though life were a struggle? (in all honesty it is not (I've seen struggle))

OR is it the grand American society, with it's grand American asperations, rooted deep with in my core which compells me to need accomplishment for satisfaction? I do wonder. I am incredibly intrigued by what it is that causes my mind to urge me to keep going, keep doing, keep completeing... "its not finished yet, it's not done yet, that still needs to be taken care of, what about that, what about the other thing, look over there..."

One can hardly grasp rest when accomplishment is what drives them. Are we all driven by accomplishment, conquest, realized visions... or are there people who can truly find peace in rest? It's like what Erich Fromm says about pleasure, that you are never truly satisfied because the realization of a pleasure leaves you with a void once its ended. This drive to constantly resolve a matter is one and the same. Once the conquest has been made you must have another inorder to again obtain that moment of satisfaction (which you're incapable of holding onto indefinatley).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment