THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Prayer? Day 49

This is going to be contemplative. I’d like to start by saying that I don’t have a clue where it will end up.


The past several days I’ve been inspired by the monks. My favorite place in Ireland that Jesse and I saw was an incredibly old ruined Abbey. There wasn’t a roof to the building and the entire complex was filled with grave stones. It wasn’t creepy though, as I would have expected. It was beautiful and serene. As old and uninhabited as it was I could feel the reverence in that place. As Jesse and I walked the illuminated pathways of the old building I imagined the feet that once trod each step I then took. Knowing that I stood in a place where countless hours of prayers had been prayed was awe inspiring.

I’m fascinated by the innumerable lives throughout time that have been devoted to God. I can’t abandon my life to live in a beehive hut alongside a crystal pond next to a lush green forest far from all civilization. I wouldn’t want to anyway. I can however go throughout my regular daily activities while praying, while praising God, while giving thanks and expressing my adoration for all that surrounds me. Life’s always better this way anyway and essentially that is what the devoted were doing only they hadn’t the distractions we have.

So I have been and I do spend a lot of time talking to God. I spend a good amount of time thanking Him for everything. But, I’m a little tripped up as of late concerning what people would most likely consider prayers. I’m not sure how or even why to present God with requests. Concerning myself, my being, prayers about my heart I have no problem. “Lord please help me to extend your compassion and love towards everyone I encounter today.” No problem. “Father I am asking for strength concerning…” No Problem. It’s everything else that I am struggling with.

Here are my questions as of late: God has a will and it’s magnificent and great, why would he need me to pray for His will to be done? At present I don’t understand why I need to pray for anything that He would desire to happen to begin with. I’m not even sure why I would be fighting spiritual warfare, calling forth angels and binding bad guys. Why would God need me to do that? Wouldn’t He be perfectly capable to accomplish these feats without me asking Him to accomplish them? I really am confused. I have been reading the Bible for… my whole life and I LOVE praying, but I cannot come up with an answer to this question. I feel ridiculous asking it but I am truly stumped. It’s like I’m stepping before God, my Heavenly Father, the creator of everything, who was and is and is to come, and then I say to Him, “I realize that it is your will for… (I’m trying to think of an example) me to be healthy. Father would you please keep me healthy today?” I don’t get it. Why am I asking Him to do what He wants to do?

Any input; any scriptures (specifically answering this question) would be much appreciated. Until then I’m just going to monk it… “Thank you Lord, I love you Lord, Father you’re amazing.”

2 comments:

  1. this may be cliché but the first verse that comes to mind in response to your prayer question is matthew 6:9-10 the Lord's prayer Jesus says to pray in this manner... Your kingdom come Your will be done... Jesus said to do it thats all i've got but i'll keep searching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thats the first verse that came to mind after I posed this : ) Good job!

    ReplyDelete