THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Waves, Day 279

I'm possibly one of the strangest photographers. I actually have a bit of a problem taking photos because I'm reluctant to "capture" a moment being more compelled to experience it instead. Now there could be a considerably large debate upon this subject about capturing AND experiencing and what not. But the truth is and you must agree with me, that generally when people have a camera in hand they're thinking about getting that good photo, about the shots and the frames and when and where to shoot next. Just think about tourists snapping away at amazing sights. They're so enthralled with capturing the moment, in my opinion, they're at the very same time missing out on being in the moment. Life through a lens is much less spectacular than life with out the limitations.

Now, with that being said there was a huge wind storm recently. A lot of people rushed down to the lake to see the waves and take photos of the scene. I don't like following the crowd but I decided with one goal in mind that I wasn't going to miss the perfect opportunity to practically get blown off the face of the earth while trying to capture a wind blown photograph. We had to park pretty far away from the water considering the huge crowd that had emerged. Unfortunately the sand was unbelievably assaulting but I pushed on. After it had pierced practically every fiber of my being I found the more professional photographers with better cameras standing right where I had been determined to shoot. I wasn't about to go stand in front of them but I was so bummed. I almost gave up, resigned, headed home with an ear full of sand and a covering of depression but I decided instead that even though there was no way I was going to get my shot I would shoot away anyhow.



My ear still hurts (4 days later) but I'm glad I followed through with one of my desires this time.

1 comment:

  1. Your wave pictures are awesome compared to mine.
    I do agree with you about missing out by taking pictures. I find that happens to me a lot. When we go to the park I am so busy taking pictures that I am not swinging or sliding or running around. I do feel like I want to remember my girls at that particular age and remember their faces. They change so quickly and it is really hard to remember that newborn I held just 18 months ago. I feel like I have been better and don't take 100 pictures of one thing.

    ReplyDelete