THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blessing, Day 278

What if my heavenly Father loves me so much that His only plan for me today is to bless me?

Maybe He isn't desiring for me to be the best me I can be, to excel at the Christian game, to read enough scripture and say enough prayers, and sin as little as possible. Maybe He isn't looking down to see whether or not my heart is in the right place: loving on people, focusing on heavenly things, turned aside from fleshly desires. Maybe He just loves me and thats that.

If you go back to the very beginning before all the messy stuff God created man; He placed man in a garden of pleasure filled with everything his heart could ever desire (He even created a friend and partner, another (wo)man to come along side him); He walked with man in the cool of the day.

The Bible says a lot of stuff about not sinning, about following all the commands, about focusing on God and godly things, about this and that and all the other stuff... it says a lot. But what if God's love for us goes so much farther beyond all that we're able to comprehend that really, ultimately He just wants to bless us AND all that other stuff is sort of just His way of telling us how to get closer to the blessing (we're REALLY good at walking away from it)?

Just a quick twist at the end: the more blessing we receive, the more we notice the blessing, the more thankful and ultimately in love with God we become, the more we're interested in blessing Him too... and all that other stuff suddenly seems less condemning and much more appealing.

I'm amazed (pretty often) at how many times I write a blog and once I arrive at the end I think to myself, "wow, I just need to open my eyes... it's all right there in front of me."

This commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. But the Word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.  I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life... Duet 30:11,14,19

No comments:

Post a Comment