THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chocolate Easter Bunny, Day 74

As I was walking past the Easter display at Meijer I noticed a chocolate bunny with broken ears. My heart sank a tiny bit and I felt sorrowful for the little guy. “Ohh, no one’s going to want you, poor little bunny.” A moment later I remembered clearance and a glimmer of hope came into view.

After this brief encounter I had to ask myself why I get so emotional or emotional at all for that matter, over inanimate objects like Easter bunnies with broken ears. I saw a tiny stuffed bear with green paint on it once. It was a rather expensive little bear but he was really really cute. I felt awful about his blemish and I was convinced that no one would buy him. I didn’t buy him (which I’m still a tad bit remorseful about) but I did pick him up and put him back SEVERAL times. I left the store without the bear almost in tears.

I tend to exert emotion over inanimate objects without faces as well. It’s not just cute little animal type things. I thought this over for a bit and came to this grand realization. Ready for it… EVERYTHING was made for a purpose. Every little thing from a button to a house was made with a purpose. I genuinely feel heartbroken over the things which aren’t meeting the purpose they were made for. What’s worse even is a thing never having the opportunity to meet its purpose. To be crafted and then tossed in a landfill, I can think of nothing more awful (ok, I can think of a few things more awful).

I realize that these things I speak of, chocolate Easter bunnies, cute little teddy bear, buttons, and all the random nonsense that overflows our homes and landfills haven’t any feelings. They aren’t living. They’re just things. I thought more upon the matter and I came to the realization that just about every single thing we encounter began with something living. Life was captured and quenched so that this thing could be formed with a single purpose in its future. I hadn’t really thought of this before. I’m not a fan of life being wasted. I think we should respect it, cherish it, marvel at it, we should encourage life and support it, in people and in all the awesome things that God created and has surrounded us with. If a chocolate Easter bunny has been brought into existence by the hands of man due to the life that God has covered the earth with, well broken ears or not that chocolate Easter bunny should be joyfully eaten.

And same goes for you. If God knew you before you were even formed, if He placed your specific gifts within you, gave you your talents, hopes, desires and dreams, well broken ears or not you should joyfully be who you are.

20. Sunny - Soleado
21. Rabbit - Conejo

No comments:

Post a Comment