THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bird Bath, Day 170

The other day my neighbor’s sprinkler was showering his lawn. It had created a pretty good sized puddle at the end of his driveway where the pavement was cracked in such a way that there was an indent. As I was leaving my driveway I noticed a little bird enjoying the shower and the puddle. The smile evoked at the site of it was tremendous. I hoped my car wouldn’t scare the little guy away. I couldn’t stand the idea of ruining so much enjoyment. He wasn’t even fazed by my presence. As I began to drive off I actually stopped for a moment to watch the tiny bird bathe. He was dipping his head in the small puddle, flapping his wings in the water and then brushing them over his wet head. Then he’d shake his little tail feathers and make ripples. He’d look up into the sprinkler mist above and then stick his head back into the puddle. I watched him for at least a minute. I genuinely believe that little bird was having fun, relieving itself from the heat, cleaning up a bit, and having fun just like we used to as kids running through sprinklers on hot summer days. The little guy really looked happy.


The site of it brought me much joy and I’m still thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment