THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Something lost (but not really), Day 173

For over three years I’ve worn a small piece of Guatemala on my wrist. Every day for nearly 1200 days the red and blue thread tied just above my hand has reminded me of a faraway place I call home, of people I’ve seen only a few times in my life yet whom I love so dearly, and of a wonderful ministry that’s doing what Jesus instructed, caring for orphans and widows and changing the world.

My red and blue bit of Guatemala fell off today. Taking hold of the broken thread I wondered, what will regularly spark memories of my distant home? How will I take Guatemala with me everywhere I go? Will I remember to pray throughout the day for all those I’ve grown so fond of? As I held it in my hand I felt as if a piece of me had broken off. It’s only a small simple bracelet but its absence leaves me feeling a little different.

So today reluctantly I say goodbye to a tiny extension of myself. Red and blue bracelet I shall no longer be greeted by your constant vision. BUT Guatemala still lives fervently within me. My love for it, the impact it’s had on my life on who I am, the memories I hold, the things I’ve seen and my compassion for its people will never leave. That is the distinct difference between having a truly wonderful thing and being… something incorruptible and everlasting.

God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart… Eccl 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment