THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Priorities, Day 181

I’m uncertain what got me thinking about it but I was thinking about priorities while driving home from work. For example if someone’s deepest desires include a luxury vehicle, a fabulously large home, expensive clothing, lots of really nice things, and costly food well then that someone would need to land a pretty high paying job, work his or her way up in the company and spend a lot of time working. The nice things and having lots of money go hand in hand with working hard and making lots of money.

Another possible set of priorities could include spending large amounts of time with one’s family, simply being with your loved ones, taking a regular part in their lives, never having to say, “I can’t make it.” This set of priorities would entail financial sacrifices. You’re most likely not going to be able to live in a mansion or drive a Porsche if you want to be home with your family all the time.

After I thought awhile along this train I began to examine my current situation. I drive almost 260 hours a year, that’s almost 11 entire days of driving just going to and coming home from work. I don’t get paid for any of this driving, in fact it cost me a lot of money. I have a pretty good job and I’m not assuming there’s some other grand position just waiting out there for me BUT if I want to spend more time with my husband and with all the people I love I might want to reconsider my line of work. Additionally, I am very concerned with doing my part to help out the environment and my (double it with time in between my stores) 500 hours of driving each year is not helping.

IF I had a job much closer to home I could save money on gas, save money on car repairs, save money on financing a car, and do a little bit to save the environment. I could also ride a bike or walk to work and improve my health. IF I had a job much closer to home I could spend 260 hours more each year with people I care about. I’m not sure why it took me this long to look at my current situation this way. Oops.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I honestly don’t know what got me started along this train of thought but I’m pretty sure I’m going to be spending the next few days at least, examining the life… I’ve sort of just happened upon, and I MIGHT need to seriously think about changing some things. If you know what your priorities are but you’re doing nothing to meet them then what are you doing? Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment