THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, July 19, 2010

Frappuccino, Day 179

Last Friday I fought a several hours long battle with myself over a mocha frappuccino. It wasn’t even one of the super delicious blended ones, just a simple coffee, milk, and chocolate drink in a glass jar. I’d absolutely resolved to buy it and drink it. It was one of those, “just this one time” moments. I kept passing the heavenly brown beverage in the open air cooler in front of the check lanes over and over again while I was working. I kept telling myself, “I AM buying that and drinking it on my next break!” I could clearly imagine how wonderful it would be. It was official. I was going to. However there was this entirely separate part of me that kept screaming back at the “I am going to” part. This separate part just kept saying, “no you are not!”

My morning turned into a very intense weird few hours of childish fighting with myself. There was this constant back and forth battle, really very much like the skits with the two tiny mirror images of the main character, one dressed as the devil on one shoulder and the other dressed as an angel on the other. The little devil me kept screaming, “I AM GOING TO!!!” and was actually completely convinced that’s she’d won. The little angel me surprisingly didn’t retreat like usual at the devilish victory taking place on the opposing shoulder but instead just hung in there telling myself, “it’s not a good idea; just this one time will turn into many many many more times; you’re doing this no coffee thing for a reason; ect; ect;”

Very much to my surprise the little angel me won in the end. I listened to the voice of reason long enough and actually paid it enough attention that after all my resolve to enjoy that mocha frappuccino it just wasn’t worth it in the end. This is a story of victory.

I wish I could attach the smell of coffee to this blog. That’d be even better than a picture.

By steadfast patient endurance you will gain your life. Luke 21:19

No comments:

Post a Comment