THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Time to read, Day 174

… Being implies change, i.e.… being is becoming. Living structures can be only if they become; they can exist only if they change. Change and growth are inherent qualities of the life process. Erich Fromm
Ever since just before leaving for Guatemala I’ve hardly read anything. In fact I’m beginning to feel literature starved. I believe that reading can influence so much growth within the reader. Knowledge can be gained. A person’s own character can be sharpened. Moral revelations can be found. Ones world view increases and the very workings of mankind are further revealed. During the past month or so while I’ve been “too busy” to pick up a book and too distracted to think about literature I feel I’ve done myself a grave injustice. A tremendously huge outlet for being, for growth, for increase has been stifled.

At present I am desiring to find a good book on Irish history (those are always my favorite). I would like to read something about basic American politics and its history. I need to go through “To have or to be” again and I’d like to look into some of Erich Fromm’s other books. Additionally I must spend more time studying the Bible.

When everyday is virtually the same; when life is so jammed packed that there’s no time left for productive activity; when obligations and responsibilities bully processes of growth,  one can always read and change and grow and become despite all those other limitations.

The library awaits.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment