THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

On the side of having, Day 164

This past winter Jesse and I drank A LOT of hot cocoa. I noticed a mug sitting on the counter today (it was 94 degrees outside today) and I thought of hot cocoa. The idea of it was repulsive but I said to myself, in contempt of the heat, “my it will be nice to crave hot chocolate again.” Why I would ever wish winter or cold upon my life is beyond me but the heat got the best of me today I guess. Shortly following my hot cocoa moment I thought about the coming fall, about apple cider and pumpkin pie. In that moment I eagerly looked towards the future once again completely forgetting how much I had wished it to be 100 degrees outside during this long long icy cold winter past.
I strongly believe that we should make the most of every moment. We should enjoy the heat while it’s hear, conjure up memories of the bitter cold and embrace the hot air upon our unclothed skin. Equally so we should embrace the beauty in winter and take advantage of those hot cocoa and fire place moments. I will never argue against making the most of every moment.

I did stop myself from getting upset today however when I began to look towards the future. I have to argue a bit upon the having side today. We, Michiganders, have large comfy winter coats, hot cocoa and fires. We have very specific wintery things that would make this blog way more enjoyable if I could think of any. We also have apple cider and pumpkin pie in the fall and many other fall time traditions. A LOT of these things are the means of clever marketing, I can’t disregard that. But they’ve become tradition much like the colorful outfits of civilizations past. Like their interesting delicacies and seasonal traditions. I can’t argue against that, at least not today, no matter how “having” it is.

It’s nice to enjoy those special things throughout each year, to have enjoyed those things with your parents and to be able pass the enjoyment on to future generations. All of that is something worth having. I just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment