THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Colorful Sound, Day 163

“The Ember Days” an amazing band that I love played a worship set at Cornerstone. Before they played they began to explain that worship is not a spectator sport and that every person there should please please please sing along. The individual speaking then went on to explain that like artists we can paint a beautiful picture for Jesus with our voices. He said that each of us has a unique color and when we don’t join sing along the painting is missing that one special hue.

I loved this speech not only because of the awesome imagery but because I’m always hesitant to sing aloud at concerts (not the really loud ones though). Everyone’s there to hear the band not me after all.

I sang and I sang and I worshiped and added my color to the picture (figuratively speaking). Just before the last song I noticed someone standing in front of me, almost facing me. I looked up briefly to see him timidly smile. They boy quickly but hesitantly said to me, “You have a very beautiful singing voice.” I quietly responded with a bashful, “oh… thank you.” Then he returned to worshiping the Lord and so did I.

The boy complimented me, yes, but I don’t say all this in order to proclaim that “I AM A GOOD SINGER.” I was touched that a total stranger would go out on a limb like that to say something nice to me. It was truly a warm fuzzy. I loved seeing the sincerity in his eyes. I was blessed by the kindness in the simple gesture. He clearly felt awkward but he stepped out and added a little color to my life despite timidity or awkwardness.

I was thinking about this today. Wouldn’t it be so easy to brighten someone’s day, that of a total stranger even, if we just took a bit more notice of those around us and stepped out on that limb a tiny more often? I think the blessing in a compliment truly comes from the condition of the givers heart. I wouldn’t suggest anyone try and be nice to people. I think if you have to try and compliment someone then something is missing. The question then is, do you have any color to sprinkle into someone’s life today?

It makes for a lovely day when someone chooses to kindly notice you.

No comments:

Post a Comment