THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Michal Day-Dream number 2 million and 56, Day 198

I got to thinking about Tom’s today, the shoe company that donates a pair of shoes for every pair purchased. I thought it’d be so neat if there were other companies that did the same thing. What if everything we bought benefited someone less fortunate (monetarily) somewhere in this world? That would be so incredible.


I thought about attempting this process independently. What if every time I bought a pair of shoes or a new t-shirt I bought a little pair of shoes or a little t-shirt for some little guy somewhere? Then I could send the new items to someone in need. That eventually looked very unpractical. Somewhere along this train of thought I realized that it would be so simple to donate an equal sum of money to a really great overseas organization every time I purchased a thing. I’ve only purchased 32 things in the past 198 days. I think it would be quite practical to match my further purchases with donations to people in need.

In all honestly we do not need probably 99 percent of the items we purchase (no where in that statement am I referring to food stuffs). If one made a vow to donate money based upon each of their purchases I believe this vow alone would force said one to re-evaluate the items they then purchased. Additionally every time they chose to purchase anything someone somewhere would benefit from the money spent.

I think this is a spectacular idea for so many reasons. People love Tom’s. People love the idea of helping the less fortunate. This could catch on, I’m sure of it. Do I see a non-profit forming in the near future…

When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the Lord your God. Lev. 23:22

No comments:

Post a Comment