THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I have, Day 13

In the having mode, there is no alive relationship between me and what I have. It and I have become things, and I have it, because I have the force to make it mine. But there is also a reverse relationship: it has me, because my sense of identity rests upon my having it.
-Erich Fromm

My mind can hardly wrap around the concept of my things owning me. However I feel that this statement, “it has me” is really very true. If only in the most simple sense that everything one “owns” requires ones time to maintain, money to keep operating, and energy to operate, the statement is true. More complexly however this statement rings true for most because people do feel a loss when something they own is destroyed, taken, damaged; a part of their life is damaged when their possession is damaged, this demonstrates an attachment.

How often do we think of our possessions as being extensions of ourselves, if ever? Yet I think they really are, aren’t they? Even if there isn’t anything wrong with this relationship it does seem that the more one “owns” the less time, money, energy, capacity, one would have for simple things; things like rest, reflective thinking, and love of people even. There really is only so much time in a day. We do only have so much energy we can exert. Possibly is this why people are growing continually more anxious, and restless, and heavy laden? It’s funny though, most of our “things” are meant to make our lives easier, more luxurious; we work quite hard to obtain the things that will afford us comfort and joy; but really they may just possibly be stealing life from us. It’s just a thought, and quite unorganized, but I believe there is truly something to it.

And He said to them, "Take heed and beware of covetousness (a greedy desire to have more), for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." Luke 12:15

No comments:

Post a Comment