THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, January 11, 2010

No two Human Beings are Entirely Alike, Day 15

The total me, my whole individuality, my suchness that is as unique as my fingerprints are, can never be fully understood, not even by empathy, for no two human beings are entirely alike.
-Erich Fromm

Everyone at some point in time experiences loneliness, certainly some people much more often then others. I believe all of mankind deals with that overwhelming feeling, knowing that no one can ever fully understand them. I completely believe that it’s true “the total me, my whole individuality, can never be fully understood.” This truth leaves everyone standing alone somewhere at some point in time. This truth is probably the cause of the void that so many are trying to fill this very instant. Our cell phones, social networking sites, clothing trends, and continual striving to be “accepted,” I’m sure all stem from this indefinite separation. You can NEVER understand my feelings, which I’m unable to ever fully describe. You can never know all of my thoughts; you’d have to be me in order to, and vice versa. We will never fully know each other no matter how hard we were to try.

I’m reading through the Bible chronologically at present. It’s neat, taking a long time, but I am enjoying it. I’m sort of stuck in the psalms right now. I’m not a huge fan of them. They’re so repetitive and the thing that sticks out most to me is the psalmist’s constant plea for God to wipe out his enemies. I often wonder, where’s the love, forgiveness, compassion, ect? I read psalm 139 today and my heart soared. I actually contemplated just writing out the entire psalm as today’s blog. It’s amazing. Within 24 verses the psalmist describes God’s relationship to us, His view of us, and His forever and always being right there with us. “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.” All 24 verses amaze me. All 24 verses speak directly to the longing in my heart for intimate relationship. You can never fully know me, nor I you. But God knew all of me before I even was, and there’s no where, NO WHERE I can be that He isn’t.

O Lord, You have searched me and know me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
Ps 139: 1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment