THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tears in my Coffee, Day 29

Not to move forward, to stay where we are, to regress, in other words to rely on what we have, is very tempting, for what we have, we know; we can hold onto it, feel secure in it.
-Erich Fromm

To have OR to be?

In 29 days I haven’t bought one single thing. I’ve bought food and cleaning supplies but no things, nothing to increase my having existence. I haven’t however given up coffee yet. I planned to cut it out by February 1st which is drawing rapidly nearer and causing me to tremble. I was thinking about this grand plan of mine and questioning its relevance. I enjoy coffee. Why would I want to remove something from my life which adds so much richness to it? Literally, sitting with a cup of a coffee and any book is one of the most enjoyable things I can think of; the calm, the peace, the heavenly aroma, the warmth, the information, the increase; ahhh… So I’m trying to convince myself to overthrow my grand plan and I remember that I’m missing the point. The point isn’t finding joy; the point is finding joy in living aside from things. In this having existence we really do NEED things in order to find that maximum happiness. But if those things are taken away there’s this sad void (I see it coming with my boycott of coffee). We become less because of the loss, and this is precisely what I’m attempting to escape. Why should anyTHING, coffee included, be responsible for who I am?

The young man said to Him… what do I still lack? Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go {and} sell your possessions and give to {the} poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
Matt 19:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment