THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Moments of Calm, Day 12

The person exclusively concerned with having and possession is a neurotic, mentally sick person; hence it would follow that the society in which most of the members are anal characters is a sick society.
-Erich Fromm

I drive alot for my job. 30 minutes to work, 45 minutes home; 20 minutes to work, an hour home. Usually I'm pretty anxious driving home. I have a list of about 30 tasks that need accomplishing running through my head at all times. Sort of like a crazy person I go over the order of my list again, and again and again in my head. Then I'll think about how to accomplish one thing just a little faster and the best ways to multi-task and get alot done at once. Then I'll go over the order of my list again, and again, and again in my head. This is VERY normal and I don't calm down or relax... pretty much ever.

Yesterday as I drove home (it was a terrible day by the way, TERRIBLE!) I was ridiculously calm. I wasn't rushing to get home so that I could accomplish my little tasks. I wasn't even thinking about what needed to be done. I was just calm. Pretty much every moment during the drive home yesterday I enjoyed for what it was, a moment of quite, a moment of peace, a moment of calm. I was able to make the very most out of my 40 minute drive home and still accomplish all my little tasks once I arrived home. I was able to relax and recoup and enjoy time. That doesn't really ever happen for me, even when I have specific down time. I like to believe that my lessening desire for stuff has not only opened up space for a greater desire for the things of God but that I've also stumbled upon a greater appreciation for the little things, non-things, like moments of calm.

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
-Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment