THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Lazy day and the TV, Day 8

I've been on vacation for the past 10 days. It's been wonderful. I've spent the majority of the time reading and relaxing. My vacations are usually devoted to poor "attemps" at organizing and cleaning and maintaining all of the stuff in my life that I haven't enough time for regularly. Anyway, today was the last of my 10 days of vacation and I didn't read (hardly). I am quickly blogging right now, just to do it and thus I haven't any quotes for todays entry. My apologies. (I'm also not spell checking any of this and quite TERRIBLE at spelling)

My husband was watching TV today and he left the room for something. As I was slightly annoyed with what he was watching I picked up the remote and flipped through the few channels we have. I am certain that every channel I passed was selling something, whether it was a commercial for a food product or drug; an infomercial for a belt that supposedly contracts your abs so that you don't actually have to work out and can still get perfectly defined abs; a show selling a $400 blender that can chop whole fruits, no peeling reguired, core and stem and peel and all, into a perfectly smooth smoothy; an entirely seperate blender with almost 2 horse power that Montel was selling; or I'm not even certain what the outfit was that a woman may purchase to wear beneath her clothing that pulls everything in so there aren't any rolls or lumps; (I'm not making any of this up, I saw it all in a matter of 2 minutes or less while flipping through the few channels available on our tv).

How many products do we need in our lives inorder to live happily? Do we really need machines to work out for us, machines to prepair our food for us, clothing to turn us into perfect "looking" people, luxurious food to satisfy our "hunger", and to top it all off, drugs to control our moods and thoughts so that life seems normal???

I've officially decided that I am getting rid of the equivlant of at least 1 thing currently in my home for every single day this year. This, saddly, apart from the effort needed to choose and discard each item, won't be that difficult. I'm sure that I've well over 365 items in my home that I won't miss for even a moment. No matter how many things we aquire to satisfy our ceaseless longing for more, they never do. The difficult task I face this year is going to be one of not aquiring new items to fill the void we're all continuously trying to fill.

It's January 3, 2010 and apart from food, I've yet to purchase one "thing" this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment