THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I’m Thinking About Thinking, Day 17

The mode of being has as its prerequisites independence, freedom, and the presence of critical reason. Its fundamental characteristic is that of being active, not in the sense of outward activity, of busyness, but of inner activity, the productive use of our human powers. It means to renew oneself, to grow, to flow out, to love, to transcend the prison of one’s isolated ego, to be interested, to “list”, to give.
-Erich Fromm

Today I’ve been thinking about thinking. I’ve noticed that sometimes while I’m driving or working time will elapse and then all of the sudden I wonder, “what was I thinking during the past 10 minutes.” It’s as if my mind isn’t even functioning; I’m accustomed enough to the task at hand that reason sort of checks out. Each time I’ve experienced this time lapse it upsets me. I feel as if I’ve wasted valuable time.

I was reading today in Erich Fromm’s book “To Have or To Be?” about activity and passivity or busyness. The word activity was used to describe productive processes. Busyness referred to just functioning really. When a person is truly active they are increasing, growing; the activity they’re involved in is one that strengthens who they are. Most often people are just busy, moving, functioning; but not increasing themselves, just existing.

I wonder how much time during the day is wasted on busyness, not only physically but mentally as well. I’m starting to feel that my mind, emotions and feelings are the only things I can truly control. I make my own decisions but the outcome of my decisions isn’t really up to me and circumstances and situations that we have no possible way of choosing or not choosing will ALWAYS arise. My mind however, every minute of every day is under my control. So take the television for an example. (I have nothing against TV, it’s just a point I’m trying to make)How much time is spent sitting in front of this box watching the commercials, trashy “reality” TV, shows that stir up all kinds of emotions about made up lives? Where is the active thought process increasing who you are and growing your mind during all of this entertainment time? I don’t like that I check out sometimes while I’m driving or working, I like even less that while I’m watching the TV I’m “checking out” whatever the writers want me to believe.

I encourage rest, relaxation, and many many moments of calm. However I am starting to realize that so much of our time is wasted on nonsense, mind numbing nonsense. Every moment is new. I want to make the most of them all.

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.
Eph 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment