THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, September 13, 2010

Coffee update, Day 233

I've gone 216 days without coffee. That's 30.85 weeks or 7 months.

I cannot tell you how many times I've wished I could just give in and purchase a white chocolate mocha with caramel. The mornings I've craved a good Guatemalan bean brew with hazelnut coffee matte seem endless now. I've almost purchased an icy cold mocha frappacino every single Friday before work since I began this nonsensical fast. And the weddings, parties, and family gatherings where coffee is without a doubt always presented with cake or some other delectable pastry have been torture.

At present I'm pretty sure I haven't learned how to be me without coffee. I read an interesting line in Time magazine last week in the article about prescription drug addition/ abuse/ overdoses. Our brains crave substances that make our bodies happy, drugs, sugar, ect; Once a substance is introduced and once it's been around long enough the brain can no longer function normally without it. A lady from a rehab center said, once the brain becomes a pickle it can't go back to being a cucumber. I'm affraid I have coffee pickle brain damage. I cannot get the stuff off of my mind.

However, I would like this update to be along a bit more of a positive note. I figure in 216 days without coffee I've avoided AT LEAST 325 cups of the liquid brown stuff. At least 80 of those would have been from Starbucks or another cafe. That's a minimum savings of $310. AND THERE'S THE POSITIVE NOTE!!! That's probably a low figure and I can honestly say most of those 80 coffee shop coffee's weren't replaced by another, chai, cocoa, smoothie. I've hardly frequented coffee shop counters during this fast.

(80 cups is super conservative... it's probably closer to 150 which would be a $560 savings in 216 days!!! According to that figure I'd save about $950 during a year without coffee shop coffee)

yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment