THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Monday, September 6, 2010

Just sort of rambling, Day 226

Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give to him who has need. Eph 4:28


Very first thing this verse clearly distinguishes who is being addressed: him who stole. It almost seems irrelevant for the common man, the do gooder, average joe. It could easily be looked over by most. I know I've certainly paid it little attention up until now.   


However, I've said it before and stumbling upon this verse causes me to say it again: I feel that anyone who considers only himself, anyone who hoards the blessings of God, anyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to the impoverished among them is stealing.  The Lord blesses those He loves. We can continually praise God for this fact. But He also desires that we bless those around us, those He loves, that we be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ here on earth now. Forgetting that "our" money belongs to God is in fact stealing.


I can not and will not be made righteous by works. If I give all I have to the poor but have not love I am nothing. If I offer to others all that the Lord has poured out upon me and forget to be thankful for what the Lord has given ME, then I've escaped the blessing. BUT if I use God's gifts on myself for myself, selfishly and blindly forgetting about others then I have not love. 


Why... why does balance, that point where all things come together and make perfect sense elude me so? I'm not happy being an extremist. Extremists usually offend people and cannot see past the end of their noses. Balance is the only thing that will keep this world turning and yet it's such a difficult rhythm to find.


I guess the equation goes something like this: God the Father - Jesus Christ - love - Commandments - others - me... 

No comments:

Post a Comment