THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Genuine Smiles, Day 244

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

There are people out there few and far between who present joyful genuine smiles at every passing. You know how you smile politely at passers by, you greet people with, "hello," "hi," "how are you," and keep on walking while they quickly spurt out a cordial response. I've noticed that some people always slow their pace, always beam upon greeting others, and always offer a genuine smile. These individuals always brighten my day. They don't know it. Many of them aren't my friends but rather the most basic of acquaintances. I don't know about the lives of most of these people or even much more about them than their names but they smile with a warmth that most people don't have. They haven't any reason to offer me beams of friendliness but they do anyway.

I really like these people. I make a point to walk past them when I see that they're around, just to say hello, just to partake of the light. It doesn't seem that a smile or a hello could be a gift... these are regurgitated hundreds of times each day, but some people manage to turn them into little treasures one delights in finding.

I'd just like to say thanks to all those folks with warm genuine smiles, who slow their step a bit and take notice when people pass by, who brighten my day if only for a milli-second whenever they say hi. Thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment