THIS IS MY 2010 BLOG... revisited 5 years later

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I just need to look carefully, Day 227

The other day I walked past a single red rose in the Meijer floral department. I felt a warm soothing feeling as I passed by the flower. I was overwhelmingly compelled to buy it, bring it home, and have it. "I'm going to buy myself a beautiful rose today," sort of hummed through my mind. I was delighted at the idea of it; of capturing it's beauty for myself, brightening my home, evoking such similar feelings of comfort, joy, mirth at owning something so miraculous; being able to gaze upon it anytime I like... what a pleasant atmosphere I could've purchased with that one red rose.

I didn't. As soon as the thought to "have" it ran through my mind I remembered the opening to Erich Fromm's book, "To have or to Be?" He begins by comparing two poems. The first poem by Tennyson talks of seeing a flower, plucking it, carrying it, and being unable to understand it. The second poem is so short and simple that I didn't even see the point of it at first. It was something like, "When I look carefully I see the flower blooming by the hedge!" The first poet needs to have the flower, to posses it, to understand it. It's almost as if the flower has no meaning unless it's apart of his life. The second poet looks carefully and sees a flower.

I realized as soon as I decided to buy that rose that instead I needed to look carefully and see the flowers all around me throughout the day. I know God's surrounded me with them. When I open my eyes and look for beauty I cannot seem to take it all in or stop thanking God for allowing me the privilege of looking upon all of His splendor. I don't need to have a red rose to find comfort, joy, delight... I just need to notice all the beautiful roses growing all around me. I just need to look carefully.

I'm looking for flowers this week. (and butterfly's, beautiful clouds, radiantly emerald trees, spectacular individuals, laughing children... there's more to see than I could ever begin to imagine)

No comments:

Post a Comment